ABOUT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA NATIONAL COUNCIL AUDITIONS
- Applicants must be within the following ages:
20 – 30 years old for all voice types from August 1, 2017 through July 31, 2018
*PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR THE 2017-2018 SEASON, YOUR BIRTH DATE MUST FALL ON OR BETWEEN AUGUST 1, 1987 – AUGUST 1, 1997 IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE ELIGIBLE TO AUDITION
- Auditioners must have a voice with operatic potential: exceptional quality, range, projection, charisma, communication and natural beauty.
- Auditioners must demonstrate an ability to sing correctly in a variety of languages and styles. They must give evidence of artistic aptitude.
- Applicants must be prepared to sing five operatic arias in the original language and key. Oratorio, Musical Theatre, or Zarzuela are not permitted. Selections should demonstrate contrasting musical styles and languages.
- Arias should be commensurate with the singer’s age and level of ability.
- The applicant will be permitted to sing an aria of his/her choice; the judges may then request another aria (or arias) for purposes of comparison.
- All District winners must enter Region Finals in the designated city of the Region in which the District lies.
PLEASE REFER TO THE GOVERNING REGULATIONS TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
- Completed Application Form & Electronically Signed Governing Regulations Form
- A one-page résumé.
- A digital photograph (less than 1 MB)
- Non-refundable application fee of $30.00 (U.S. Funds):
- Connecticut District – Electronic payment is preferred at http://ctdistrictauditions.org/info-for-singers.html.
- Boston District – Electronic payment is preferred:
- A photocopy of a birth certificate or other legal document giving proof of age, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Citizens of countries other than the United States (U.S.) and Canada must show proof of residency for the duration of the audition season or proof of full-time enrollment in an educational institution in the U.S. or Canada before being permitted to enter a District audition. We are required by Federal and New York State laws to withhold a total of 35% of prize money awarded to non-U.S. citizens.
Scheduling – No requests for scheduling preferences will be considered unless they are supported by a valid reason. Indicate the reason for your request, e.g. church or temple commitment, singing engagement, travel scheduling constraints, etc.
NEW ENGLAND REGIONAL INFORMATION
Singers who wish to participate in the New England Regional Auditions have the option of auditioning in either New Haven, CT or Boston, MA. However, both Boston and Connecticut District winners must participate in the New England Regional Finals in Boston.
Applications are to be submitted through the Metropolitan Opera website.
This online system is designed to accept uploaded supporting files (proof of age, residency, etc.) from candidates and to electronically process the application fee.
Connecticut District – applications must be submitted by November 18:
203-334-4206 (9 am to 9 pm)
If you do not receive an email providing your time slot by November 28, you need to call.
Boston District – applications must be submitted by December 9:
239-970-6207 (9 am to 9 pm)
If you do not receive an email providing your time slot by December 27, you need to call.
SEMI-FINALS AND GRAND FINALS CONCERT
The National Council Auditions Semi-Finals and Grand Finals Concert take place at the Metropolitan Opera House. At that time, the first place winners of the twelve Regions are brought to New York for musical preparation under the guidance of the Metropolitan Opera’s Music Staff. They then audition with a piano on the Metropolitan Opera stage before members of the Met Artistic Staff and invited opera professionals at the National Semi-Finals. Those not selected as National Finalists will receive a cash award of $2,500.
All National Finalists remain in residence at the Met for another week and continue to coach with the Met’s Music Staff in preparation for the Grand Finals Concert with the Met Orchestra. During this final audition, they will compete before a public audience and a distinguished panel of judges for awards in the amount of $15,000. Finalists not chosen as Winners will receive $5,000. All travel and housing for participants at the national level are paid for and arranged by the Metropolitan Opera National Council. In addition, national participants will be given a per diem of $50 for each day they are in New York.
National Semi-Finals – Sunday, April 22, 2018
National Grand Finals Concert – Sunday, April 29, 2018